Industry Development Services:
Strategic, Focused Results
We pair expert assessment and policy design capabilities with deep industry experience to engage decision makers and achieve targeted outcomes.
Our work style is both strategic and highly responsive; we develop our knowledge of our clients’ core objectives, we assist in developing and maintaining current strategies, and we co-develop and implement appropriate work plans.
Our full range of industry development services includes expertise in the areas of Energy Policy, Climate Action Policy, Capacity Investment, and Project Management services.
- Renewable fuel standards (RFS) – legislation, regulation, implementation, performance assessment, review
- Low carbon/clean fuel standards (LCFS) — legislation, regulation, implementation, performance assessment, review
- Regulatory compliance pathway modelling – supply, demand, scenario modelling
- Fuel taxation – excise and carbon taxation, design, impact assessment, review
- Sustainability certification – standard design (principles, criteria setting, measurement): supply chains, renewable fuels
- Product standards and regulations – ASTM, CGSB, other
- Carbon valorization – compliance credits (RFS and/or LCFS credits), carbon offsets, design options, market assessment, review
- Carbon pricing policy – fuel taxation, cap and trade, output-based pricing, impact assessment, review
- Lifecycle assessment (LCA) – pathway assessment, sector analysis, impact modelling
- Greenhouse gas abatement – cost modelling, comparative assessment
- Capital grants – production facilities
- Production incentives – operating plants
- Project development – pre-commercialization
- Applied R&D funding
- Coalition building
- Project implementation
Our work is informed from experience as co-developers of an operating global-scale biofuel plant in Alberta, and years of hands-on engagement with governments, industry colleagues, and clean energy stakeholders to develop and implement appropriate renewable fuel policies across Canada. Since 2005, we have worked on all the major renewable fuel and climate action policies in Canada.
We have longstanding working relationships with the key provincial and federal government ministries that determine and shape fuel regulations, carbon pricing, and market competitiveness. We maintain strong north-south industry relationships to promote open market access and adopt best practices across North America.
We engage our network of Canada’s leading natural resource and processing companies and organizations (e.g., agriculture, forestry, renewable energy, natural gas, etc.) to build stronger coalitions for more effective results. We collaborate with leading climate and energy NGO’s to enhance efforts to achieve economic growth and greenhouse gas emissions reductions.
We use our experience in renewable fuel project development and government policy, regulation, and standards definition to identify and mitigate investment risks for project developers and investors.
We work with governments, industry, and civil society interests to define and implement practical sustainability and product standards.